Community Empowerment > Empowering poor rural households through livelihood promotion in remote Odisha
Empowering poor rural households through livelihood promotion in the form of improved farming methods, kitchen gardens, SHGs, goat-rearing and facilitating marketing of non-timber-forest-produce
NGO: Partner in Justice Concerns (Yugajyoti initiative)
Working in the villages of Koraput, one of the most remote districts in India, Yugajyoti engages with the largely tribal inhabitants who have very little means of livelihood. Yugajyoti aims to promote livelihood through different means targeted to different cross-sections such as improved farming methods, kitchen gardens, SHGs, goat-rearing, and facilitate marketing of non-timber-forest-produce.
- Improve farming practices to increase crop yield, promote crop rotation and prevent monsoon crop runoff
- Help villagers having small land-holdings with some additional cash crops in the rabi season by providing different vegetable seeds like papaya, drumstick, banana. Help set up kitchen gardens.
- Help build check dams and promote practices like field binding and contour farming to prevent rainwater led crop-runoff.
- Facilitate and improve goat rearing practices
- Provide better breeds of goats and rotate them once the herd size has increased.
- Help with better goat rearing practices, help build goat enclosures.
- SHGs and microlending
- Establish women-led SHGs, 3 per village, where they talk about agricultural techniques, forest produce, sanitation, health, general awareness.
- SHGs deposit money in a lockbox, which can then be used for microlending for weddings or other events. After the money exceeds a certain amount, the money gets deposited in a bank.